Friday, May 29, 2009

The Word of the Day is....Oops!

I could get really mad at him, but does a 9-month old really know any better?

I went outside for a few minutes this afternoon while N was playing in the kitchen so I could try and get my grill started up for dinner. This involved getting the tank hooked back on, lighting the grill, etc etc...needless to say, it took longer than I meant for it to.

I come back inside and N has found his way into the pantry (I guess I forgot to close the door) and dumped an ENTIRE box of Lucky Charms on the floor. Then, somehow, he's sat on top of most of the pieces and looks at me with teeny marshmellows in his mouth, like, "what did I do?" And yet, I found enough humor at the moment to grab the camera...

I picked four-leaf clovers, yellow moons and red balloons off his butt for awhile.

Then, I was given my first real mommy scare. After bathtime, N was jumping up and down in his crib, naked, while I looked for clean PJ's. Somehow, he lost his balance and plowed mouth-first into the rail...and started screaming! I picked him up to hug him, then pulled back to check him out, and his mouth was full of blood and running down his chin! I ran outside with a naked bloody child to grab Robert, who was mowing the lawn. I don't know what I thought he was going to do, I guess I just needed some assurance that he wasn't going to die. And I work in healthcare! It's amazing when it's your own child how differently you react.

Anyway, N split open his gums on the top right where a new tooth started through yesterday, hence all the blood and gore. Once I got him cleaned up and found the source of the bleeding, it didn't look quite so bad. Nothing a little Oragel and a cold teether can't fix.

Funny how he stopped crying immediately when he saw his daddy. What's that about?

No comments: