Saturday, May 16, 2009

New Year...New Job

After much patience and determination, Robert has been selected as the new assistant band director for Greater Atlanta Christian School in Norcross, GA. Last night we went to their band banquet where we were introduced to many of the band parents and faculty/administration. Everyone was so nice and extremely glad to have Robert coming aboard; their band program is growing by leaps and bounds and they finally have enough students to warrant hiring another director. Although he'll only be 80% band director and 20% something else (general music, or something TBD) we're both so excited for this new job and the opportunities it brings.

It's so exciting to see a school where students get to see their friends get baptized on campus, where the band has a "chaplain" officer, and so many other things that don't take place in government-run public schools. I've been struggling with whether or not to place Nicklas in public school (yeah, I know, that's a long time from now, but I'm a worrier) and GAC will give the children of faculty a discount off their tuition if they want to attend. So there's a great option right there.

The downsides...Robert will now be commuting to Norcross for work in his eleven-year-old car that's been on its last leg for three years. My mechanic calls our Taurus "the Ghost" b/c it keeps trying to die but never really leaves. (Plus, it's white). Anyway, he'll have to deal with traffic on I-85, but will be done with school earlier in the day so hopefully will miss most of it. He will have to stay after school fewer days a week, but will now be responsible for helping with marching band and attending all football games.

Please keep us in our prayers during this transition period in our lives. I am also interviewing for a new position within my current job, but it will be full-time hours with a steady schedule, my own benefits and health insurance. After the summer is over we'll also have to worry about new child-care needs...


Aaagh! If you know me, you know I don't like change. So bring it on...I'm ready!

No comments: