Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sleepless Nights...Why are we doing this again?

As many of you know, Nicklas has been "sleeping through the night" since about age 10 weeks. Occasionally, he will get up once to feed, but will go right back to sleep, or at least is quiet enough in his crib that I go back to sleep. However, we are making a transitional period where he has cut back to two naps a day instead of three. This means that he's now awake from his afternoon nap around 3 or 3:30 and by 7pm he is wiped out for the night. It's tough putting him to bed this early, because it makes it hard to go anywhere late in evening and Robert and I often have to work late.

However, since he got his six-month vaccinations last Friday, he's stopped wanting to sleep at all! His morning naps are almost non-existant (45 minutes, max) and his afternoon naps have creeped earlier and earlier, so making it to bedtime is a pain. And now, we're waking up every night, sometimes more than once. Dr. Hogan advised me that it's OK to still breastfeed him at night, but I feel like I'm giving him positive reinforcement by feeding him at every night waking. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can handle this? I would like my baby to "sleep through the night" without making it this big traumatic thing. Even if I have to go several days of torture by weaning him off of night-feedings, in the long run I think it would be helpful. I'm just so frazzled...I love my son so much, but his clingy, whiney-ness during the last week or so is really starting to wear me down. We were just doing so well, now I feel like I have a newborn all over again.

On a brighter note, he has started to "army crawl" and "inch worm"; basically, he can move forward on his elbows, or get up on his hands and knees and launch himself forward towards a toy (or something he's not supposed to get into). Yesterday, I wasn't watching and he took apart my Wii system console...I still can't figure that one out. He also pulled himself up into a standing position in his crib, but I had put him down sitting up first. I got some cute pictures of that...I'll post them when I'm not at work (I'm very busy, if you can't tell...)

What a stinker!

No comments: