Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Our week 37 appointment

I went in yesterday for my 37 week check up. My OB, Dr. Campbell, wants to do non-stress tests (NST) at every appointment until I deliver to check on the baby's heartrate and activity levels. Basically, you lay hooked up to a monitor like you were in the labor and delivery, and push this hand-held button at every movement you feel. A "reactive" study means that he had at least two accelerations (in heartrate) during the test period, "non-reactive" means they didn't see any accels (which you do want to see) but the baby might just have been asleep.

Anywho, no chance of my little man being sleepy...he's always moving! The test turned out fine, and Dr. Campbell checked my cervix again, so I'm now 1.5 cm dialated and 50 % effaced! It's not much, but at least I'm progressing. My BP was still a little elevated (140/85). She explained that I'm still at risk for developing late pre-eclampsia (which I don't think is going to happen, but I'll take her word for it) so if my cervix becomes more "favorable" (i.e. >3cm or fully effaced) that she might wanted to still induce labor early.

I really have been against early inductions, (labors last longer and rates of c-sections increase), but at this point, I'm ready to get this kid outta here! I've been in so much pain from my rib/chest muscle and lower back pain that I almost can't stand it! Plus, I've recently developed carpal tunnel in both hands, so now my fingers ache too. I know I'm complaining, and I'm holding back, really...

So maybe we'll get some more information at next Wednesday's appt. Hopefully, I'll go into labor any day now and I won't have to worry about it...

No comments: